more on UMSDOS

From: Ryan Underwood
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 08:57:12 EST

I did some more experimenting along the lines of my previous post ("some
UMSDOS issues").

I verified that the 2.2.19 kernel from ZipSlack 8.0 at least finds init
and starts running startup scripts like it should within the 9.1 setup,
so there is nothing wrong with the installation.

I also verified that the files 2.4.24 claims is missing (/etc/rc.d/rcS,
/sbin/agetty, et.al) actually do exist in the filesystem.

Slack 9.1 ships with 2.4.18, which I tried first, and it as well as
2.4.24 produce the same results; unable to find files that clearly exist
in the UMSDOS filesystem.

I find it hard to believe that ZipSlack 9.1 would have shipped broken.
More likely, some strange interaction with my system is happening:
AMD 386DX-40
16MB RAM
2G Quantum ATA HD
ISA IDE & I/O controller
S3 928 2MB ISA video
1.44MB & 360k fdds
SB16 SCSI-2 w/2X SCSI CD
NE2000 at 0x280 irq 3

It all works fine with ZipSlack 8.0 which ships with a 2.2.19 kernel,
and that 2.2.19 kernel used in ZipSlack 9.1 gets the boot process past
the part where it can't find files with the 2.4.18 and 2.4.24 kernels.

any ideas?

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>