Re: [2.6,2.4] HPT366 (on Abit BP6) + Seagate 7000.7 + DMA = kernelhalted

From: Thomas Zehetbauer
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 10:01:15 EST

Must be a problem with the harddisk; I do also have a Abit BP6 board
with two WD800JB which work fine on the HPT366 controller. Maybe you
should try to connect them to one of the PIIX4 IDE channels. Btw: I do
have CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO enabled so I do not even need to use hdparm
to enable DMA.

However I am myself not so sure if I should use the HPT366 or the PIIX4
controller as I got better cache read throughput (hdparm -T) with the
PIIX4 controller and could avoid sharing an interrupt. Maybe someone
here is willing to share some piece of advice?

Tom

--
T h o m a s Z e h e t b a u e r ( TZ251 )
PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

We are tied to the ocean. And we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or
to watch it we are going back from whence we came. - John F. Kennedy