Re: help project

From: Justin Pryzby
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 16:02:57 EST

I have a similar interest: I want to be able to take a process, save its
state to a file, reboot, and reload the process. Possibly on a
different machine. I hope you realize that there are _lots_ of points
of failure, things like file deletion. You should look at the mosix
clustering project; they save the userspace state of a process, and
transfer that across the network, and have system calls run on the
remote host, which has all the arch-specific stuff. A process ("task")
is defined by a task_struct, in include/linux/sched.h., but that
definition is not at all self-contained. See
[http://www.clarkson.edu/~pryzbyj/task/struct-task_struct.html] for some
work I did to convince myself of this. (I've given up on that
document). In short, there's no good way of doing this .. mosix saves
the user context easily enough, but, sadly, saving the kernel stuff is,
at best, extremely tedious. Let me know if you come up with anything
else.

Justin