Re: NTFS disk usage on Linux 2.6

From: Wes Janzen
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 17:36:36 EST

I'm having the same issue on 2.6.0, this is with an 8.4G partition.

|sprchkn@rybBIT:~> df -h
/dev/hde1 49G 24G 25G 49% /
/dev/hde2 8.4G 3.2G 5.2G 38% /windows/h

sprchkn@rybBIT:/windows/h> du -sh *
773k 8cf3326dc751d489417f4d3be3
0 AUTOEXEC.BAT
0 CONFIG.SYS
71M Documents and Settings
0 IO.SYS
0 MSDOS.SYS
48k NTDETECT.COM
105M Photoshop 6.0
90M Program Files
0 RECYCLER
129G System Volume Information
18G WINDOWS
1.7M WUTemp
0 boot.ini
476k cmr2.0
123M drivers
232k ntldr
576M pagefile.sys
250M service
sprchkn@rybBIT:/windows/h> du -sh
148G .|

Descending into the WINDOWS directory reports these folders incorrectly:
|3.3G $NtUninstallKB826939$
3.3G $NtUninstallKB826942$
3.4G $NtUninstallQ327979$
3.1G $NtUninstallQ814995$
3.7G system32|

It shows WINDOWS/system32/dllcache to be 3.4GB. There are 1371 files in this directory.

|sprchkn@rybBIT:/windows/h/windows/system32/dllcache> du -sh * | grep "M"
8.0k IMS.CAT
152k MAPIMIG.CAT
2.2M MSHTML.DLL
20k MW770.CAT
8.0k OEMBIOS.CAT
340k URLMON.DLL
1.1M chsbrkr.dll
8.6M hwxcht.dll
11M hwxjpn.dll
8.6M hwxkor.dll
1.1M korwbrkr.lex
1.4M luna.mst
2.2M moviemk.exe
1.6M msgr3en.dll
1.2M msir3jp.lex
1.2M msoeres.dll
2.9M nls302en.lex
13M oembios.bin
1.2M quartz.dll
1.6M sam.spd
3.2M tourP.exe|

I didn't get anything with 'du -sh * | grep "G"', so it seems to be getting the correct size for each file but munges up the total somehow.

I though initially maybe it was related to the number of files in a directory, but that doesn't seem to be the case:

|sprchkn@rybBIT:/windows/h/windows/$NtUninstallKB826939$> du * -sh
80k accwiz.exe
416k crypt32.dll
40k cryptsvc.dll