Re: Proposed enhancements to MD

From: Lars Marowsky-Bree
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 08:57:19 EST

On 2004-01-16T07:43:36,
Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch@xxxxxxxx> said:

> > Do you know whether DDF can also support simple multipathing?
> Yes, the structure info for each physical disk allows for two (and
> only 2) paths to be represented. But it's pretty limited, describing
> only SCSI-like paths with bus/id/lun only described in the current
> draft. At the same time, there's a per-physical-disk GUID, such
> that if you find the same disk by multiple paths you can tell.
> There's room for enhancment/feedback in this space for certain.

One would guess that for m-p, a mere media UUID would be completely
enough; one can simply scan where those are found.

If it encodes the bus/id/lun, I can forsee bad effects if the device
enumeration changes because the HBAs get swapped in their slots ;-)

Sincerely,
Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>

--
High Availability & Clustering \ ever tried. ever failed. no matter.
SUSE Labs | try again. fail again. fail better.