Re: Compiling C++ kernel module + Makefile

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 17:19:14 EST

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Ashish sddf wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to port a C++ kernel module from 2.4 to
> 2.6. (It is MIT Click Modular Router).
>
> As I understand the module building has changed in
> ver 2.6. I have got the Makefile to compile it but it
> gives me lot of warning - all dependancies problem
>
> It appears that the kernel Makefile treats it like a
> host application and does not pass the necessary
> processing routines.
>
> Does anyone can ideas about how to change the kernel
> makefile to compile the C++ files the same way as C
> files ?
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Ashish

If somebody actually got a module, written in C++, to compile and
work on linux-2.4.nn, as you state, it works only by fiat, i.e., was
declared to work. There is no C++ runtime support in the kernel for
C++. Are you sure this is a module and not an application? Many
network processes (daemons) are applications and they don't require
any knowledge of kernel internals except what's provided by the
normal C/C++ include-files.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.24 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).