Re: Compiling C++ kernel module + Makefile

From: Bart Samwel
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 08:01:08 EST

On Friday 16 January 2004 23:07, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> If somebody actually got a module, written in C++, to compile and
> work on linux-2.4.nn, as you state, it works only by fiat, i.e., was
> declared to work. There is no C++ runtime support in the kernel for
> C++. Are you sure this is a module and not an application? Many
> network processes (daemons) are applications and they don't require
> any knowledge of kernel internals except what's provided by the
> normal C/C++ include-files.

Rest assured, ;) this is definitely a module. It includes a kernel patch that
makes it possible to include a lot of the kernel headers into C++, stuff like
changing asm :: to asm : : (note the space, :: is an operator in C++) and
renaming "struct namespace" to something containing less C++ keywords. The
module also includes rudimentary C++ runtime support code, so that the C++
code will run inside the kernel. I'm afraid that the task of compiling it for
2.6 is going to be pretty tough -- the kernel needs loads of patches to make
it work within a C++ extern "C" clause, and it probably completely different
patches from those needed by 2.4. Getting the build system to work is the
least of the concerns.

-- Bart