Re: smp dead lock of io_request_lock/queue_lock patch

From: Doug Ledford
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 11:14:46 EST

On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 10:16, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Doug Ledford wrote:

> >>If it leads to a more stable kernel, I don't see why iorl can't go in
> >>(user perspective) because RH is going to maintain it instead of trying
> >>to find a developer who is competent and willing to do the boring task
> >>of backfitting bugfixes to sub-optimal code.
> >

> > We actually intended to leave it out of RHEL3. But, once we started
> > doing performance testing of RHEL3 vs. AS2.1, it was obvious that if we
> > didn't put the patch back in we could kiss all of our benchmark results
> > goodbye. Seriously, it makes that much difference on server systems.
>
> I'm running 30+ usenet servers, currently on older RH versions. Better
> performance would certainly be a plus, although stability WRT lockups
> has been an issue, as has operation when the number of threads gets very
> high. First tests of RHEL looked very promising for stability, I'm
> hoping to get the okay to do serious production testing next week.

Well, when you think about it, the iorl patch makes lockups less likely,
and when they do occur they are likely to effect a smaller subset of the
scsi subsystem. When you have one lock and you get a lockup, the whole
system stops. When you have one lock per device and one lock per
controller, when they deadlock, they only deadlock a subset of the scsi
subsystem.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx> 919-754-3700 x44233
Red Hat, Inc.