Re: Making MO drive work with ide-cd

From: Pascal Schmidt
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 20:19:33 EST

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:50:04 +0100, you wrote in linux.kernel:

> By some coincidence I got hold of an MO drive today. Under 2.4.21
> and 2.6.1 using ide-scsi all seems to work at first sight.

For me, it doesn't work at all with ide-scsi in 2.6. 2.4 is fine
in that regard.

> With ide-cd I get errors only.
> Not surprising: ide-cd expects a CD so sends READ_TOC and
> gets "illegal request / invalid command" back.
> The appropriate command is READ CAPACITY.

There is a patch by me with some rework by Jens Axboe in -mm that
corrects this situation. It hasn't seen much testing, though.

By the way, what hardware sector size does your MO use? I have
only tested my patch with 2048 byte sector size - everything else
is unlikely to work with ide-cd...

> Are there cases where ide-cd is useful?
> Should we retarget ide_optical to ide-scsi?

Please fill the whole disk and then reread and compare via ide-scsi.
That never worked for me in 2.6 using ide-scsi, but it does work
with the patch in -mm.

I agree that the situation in mainline as it is now is undesirable,
only mounting prewritten discs read-only works.

--
Ciao,
Pascal