Network Console for 2.4.x

From: Herbert Poetzl
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 03:47:23 EST

Hi Folks!

I recently stumbled over the network console (written by
Ingo Molnar, in 2001) and searched a little for up-to-date
implementations/adaptations to recent 2.4.x kernels ...

I found that Matt Mackall seems to maintain the netpoll
API/core system for 2.6.x and a recent 2.6 netconsole but
unfortunately not for 2.4 ...

what I did was merging both, into an updated 2.4.x
netconsole patch, which might come handy when you can't
attach a serial console and disk logging isn't very
useful (e.g. kernel debugging) ...

this netconsole patch now (hopefully) supports the same
config interface which Matt's netpoll stuff uses, so
the transition from one to the other should be smooth.

driver support is currently done for the folowing drivers:

drivers/net/3c503.c drivers/net/ne.c
drivers/net/3c59x.c drivers/net/ne2.c
drivers/net/8139too.c drivers/net/ne2k-pci.c
drivers/net/ac3200.c drivers/net/ne3210.c
drivers/net/apne.c drivers/net/oaknet.c
drivers/net/e100/e100_main.c drivers/net/smc-mca.c
drivers/net/e1000/e1000_main.c drivers/net/smc-ultra.c
drivers/net/e2100.c drivers/net/smc-ultra32.c
drivers/net/eepro100.c drivers/net/stnic.c
drivers/net/es3210.c drivers/net/tg3.c
drivers/net/hp-plus.c drivers/net/tlan.c
drivers/net/hp.c drivers/net/tulip/tulip_core.c
drivers/net/hydra.c drivers/net/via-rhine.c
drivers/net/lne390.c drivers/net/wd.c
drivers/net/mac8390.c drivers/net/zorro8390.c

adding new drivers should not be too hard, let me know if
you added support for <insert network driver here> ...

maybe this is useful for somebody, for sure it was for me!
available at:

http://www.13thfloor.at/patches/patch-2.4.24-nc0.01.diff
http://www.13thfloor.at/patches/patch-2.4.24-nc0.01.diff.gz
http://www.13thfloor.at/patches/patch-2.4.24-nc0.01.diff.bz2