System died because of ide-scsi

From: Nikita V. Youshchenko
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 06:09:53 EST

Hello.

I'm not sure where to report bugs in ide-scsi in kernel 2.4, so trying
here ...

I've just suffered a system misbehaviour that ended with a system crash on
a production server running Linux kernel 2.4.24 SMP. This server acts as
terminal server here, running 10-15 KDE sessions.

The problem happened when someone started CD recording operation while CD
was mounted. (It's interesting why he was able to do that, but that's
another story).

After that, system because very unresponsive (up to 10 seconds to process a
key press). System load meter was able to refresh it's screen for several
times, and showed both CPUs were "100% SYS".

It wass possible to switch server console from X to text console (athough
it took up to mitute to process Ctrl+Alt+F1). On the text cousole, about
onse a second the following line was printed:

ide-scsi: Strange, packet command initiated yet DRQ isn't asserted

I could log in as root on the console and type several commands (again, up
to 10 seconds to process a key press). I tried to reset the device using
hdparm, and that caused kernel oops.

I don't feel I can debug this problem myself. However, if it will help, I
will provide all system information on request.