Re: [1/4] better i386 CPU selection

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 18:49:28 EST

John Stoffel wrote:

"Adrian" == Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Adrian> The main effect is that better-i386-cpu-selection.patch makes
Adrian> it easier for people who configure kernels that should work on
Adrian> different CPU types. A user (= person compiling his own
Adrian> kernel) does no longer need any deeper knowledge when
Adrian> e.g. configuring a kernel that should run on both an Athlon
Adrian> and a Pentium 4 - he simply selects all CPUs he wants to
Adrian> support in his kernel.

So a user who will only Run this kernel on a PIII for example, doesn't
need to select *any* other kernels at all? I think the Kconfig help
screens need to be redone to make this clear.

I enabled all the sub-processors because I wanted to make sure my
kernel would boot no matter what. It seems like I don't need that any
more, right?

At the top of the "Processor support" menu there is the line
"Select all processors your kernel should support". That sums
it up pretty well.

I might get your point better if you sent a patch.