Re: CPU Hotplug: Hotplug Script And SIGPWR

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 03:43:03 EST

Tim Hockin wrote:

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 07:14:12PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

Under what conditions? Not arbitrary entropy, surely. If a hotplug script
is present and does not blow up, it should be safe to assume it will be run
upon an event being delivered. If not, we have a WAY bigger problem :)

That assumption is not safe. The main problems are of course process limits
and memory allocation failure.

If root has a process limit that make hotplug scripts fail to run, then
we're hosed in a lot of ways. And if we fail to allocate memory, there
really ought to be some retry or something. It seems to me that a failure
to run a hotplug script is a BAD THING.

(or OOM killed being another that comes to mind)

It is sometimes inevitable. With that knowledge we should be designing
for graceful failure.

Sending it a SIGPWR means you have to run it on a different CPU that it was
affined to, which is already a violation.

At least the task has the option to handle the problem.

But it is a violation of the affinity. As the kernel we CAN NOT know what
the affinity really means.

Not if the application is designed to handle it. How would hotplug
scripts make this any different, anyway?

Maybe there is some way for a task to indicate
it would like to receive SIGPWR in that case. Or some other signal. Can we
invent new signals?

That way a task that KNOWS about the CPU disappearing underneath it can be
wise, while everything else will not just get killed.

Rusty thought you just wouldn't send it unless the process was handling
it.