Re: ALSA vs. OSS

From: Jonathan Boler
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 21:39:21 EST

On Tue Jan 20 2004 - 10:13:06 EST - Alistair John Strachan Wrote:

> The OSS userspace utilities, however, program the EMU10k1 dsp with a very nice
> tone control patch that produces a very high quality control with no
> clipping.

The OSS utilities for emu10k1 are very nice but no doubt they will eventually make their way to alsa.

> If ALSA does or could support working with the programmable dsp, I'd be happy
> to switch to it. Right now my "deprecated" SBLive! OSS drivers output higher
> quality audio.

As far as I can see from the alsa-devel lists, there have been patches to ensure sound is routed through the high quality components of Audigy cards to ensure the best sound quality and consistent sound levels through all channels. I definately noticed an improvement over the OSS Audigy driver which I used for over a year.

Maybe this is a SBLive specific problem ? Buy an Audigy :) Everything I've tried to do has worked perfectly with ALSA: 5.1 playback, digital out, AC3/DTS passthrough, recording from mic/line-in etc.

Jonathan