Re: CPU Hotplug: Hotplug Script And SIGPWR

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 23:21:15 EST

Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:43:52AM -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:

IFF the app is designed to handle it. The existence of a SIGPWR handler
does not necessarily imply that, though. a SIGCPU or something might
correlate 1:1 with this, but SIGPWR doesn't.

I agree we should have a separe signal for CPU Hotplug. By default the signal will be ignored, unless a task registers a signal handler for that special signal.

I'd be happy with that.

That way, tasks which "knowingly" change their CPU affinity will be able to tackle a CPU going down by handling the signal (probably change their CPU affinity again), while tasks which have their CPU affinity changed "unknowingly"
(by other tasks) will just ignore the signal. The hotplug script interface
allows the admin to go and change the CPU affinity again for the second class of tasks, if needed.

Yes, that is with the cpu-is-down hotplug event, right?

*Before* that happens, tasks that don't handle the signal should just
have their affinity changed to all cpus.

Or doesn't anybody care to think about hoplug scripts failing?
(serious question)