Re: PROBLEM: ACPI freezes 2.6.1 on boot

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 13:58:32 EST

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:

> I'm now seeing the _exact same problem_ on an ASUS M2400N [*] with a
> Linux 2.6.1 (unpatched) kernel. The kernel freezes after printing
>
> "ACPI: IRQ 9 was Edge Triggered, setting to Level Triggerd"

Does it go away if you just make "acpi_pic_set_level_irq()" do nothing (ie
just remove the "outb()" call

arch/i386/kernel/acpi/boot.c line 273

or just make the if-statement be always false).

It's entirely possible that the SCI is just horribly broken, and can't be
level-triggered.

Btw, usually a good idea to at least cc the developer list for the
particular subsystem. In this case <acpi-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
Many people don't have the time to follow linux-kernel.

Linus