Nvidia drivers and 2.6.x kernel

From: Christian Unger
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 18:06:26 EST

Hi Everyone

I'm not sure if this has been done to death or not, but i can not get the 4496
and 5328 versions of the NVidia kernel to work on the 2.6.1 version of (you
guessed it) Linux.

I've googled about but not really found any great stuff. I did find this:

http://www.kerneltrap.org/node/view/1804
and from there the link to http://minion.de

I've tried it with both versions of the driver, with both versions of the
drivers Makefile (Makefile.nvidia and Makefile.kbuild).

With the installer and with just make install (make kernel_module_install).
The message i get is that the module is the wrong format.
The files that i can get to appear in:
/lib/modules/2.6.1/kernel/drivers/video are nvidia.ko & nvidia.o
Originally i thought they were the same file, but they have different sizes
(afterall)
chakkerz@stormcrow:/lib/modules/2.6.1/kernel/drivers/video$ ls -l
total 4648
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 2376880 Jan 21 12:14 nvidia.ko
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 2376702 Jan 21 12:15 nvidia.o

so: i've tried unpatched, patched, old and new drivers, installer and make,
make in the installers root, and it's sub director usr/src/nv ... oh yes, and
different versions of the patch.

could someone please tell me where to find out how to make this work, because
linux without GUI is little use to me.

In case it matters:
This is an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ on a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 MoBo (nforce2). The
FFX is an Abit Siluro GeForce 4 Ti4200 OTES. 2 sticks of 256 Corsair DDR in
dual channel. The kernel compiles i tried were with AGPGART integrated (and
the nforce/nforce2 also integrated) as well as AGPGART as a module. Most of
the stuff i tried with AGPGART as a module.
--
with kind regards,
Christian Unger

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" (Faithless - Reverence)

Mobile: 0402 268904
Internet: http://naiv.sourceforge.net
NAIV Status:
Stable Testing Development
0.2.3r2 0.3.0 0.3.1 - File Handling

"May there be mercy on man and machine for their sins" (Animatrix)