Re: Nvidia drivers and 2.6.x kernel

From: Christian Unger
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 19:06:46 EST

About module-init-tools ... dunno ... never heard of it, I'm on Slackware 9.1
so ... dunno ... Not sure. But like you say, if i could not initalize modules
the nvidia module should be the least of my worries, plus everything loads in
2.4.22

> What messages do you get about what is going wrong? What happens when you
> so a modprobe nvidia? What does your log file from XFree show?
on make install i get:
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.1/kernel/drivers/video/
nvidia.ko): Invalid module format

That's the same thing that modprobe nvidia gets.
I'll check the nv thing out.

One interesting error / warning i get during boot is this (from /var/log/
syslog) :
Jan 22 10:43:08 stormcrow kernel: nvidia: version magic '2.6.1 preempt K7
gcc-3.2' should be '2.6.1 preempt K7 gcc-3.3'
Jan 22 10:46:15 stormcrow kernel: nvidia: version magic '2.6.1 preempt K7
gcc-3.2' should be '2.6.1 preempt K7 gcc-3.3'

Not sure what to make of this. I know that 4496 had issues with the gcc
version i was running a while backed, and i had to hack the installer script
to ignore that (though i'm sure there is a switch for this stuff ... i was
over reading at that point).

As for the XFree log ... i don't have that one ...

--
with kind regards,
Christian Unger

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" (Faithless - Reverence)

Mobile: 0402 268904
Internet: http://naiv.sourceforge.net
NAIV Status:
Stable Testing Development
0.2.3r2 0.3.0 0.3.1 - File Handling

"May there be mercy on man and machine for their sins" (Animatrix)