Re: DBT-2 anticipatory scheduler and filesystem results with 2.6.1

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 02:02:01 EST

markw@xxxxxxxx wrote:

On 19 Jan, Andrew Morton wrote:

markw@xxxxxxxx wrote:

I ran some dbt-2 tests against 5 filesystems with 2.6.1-mm4 and 2.6.1. I
see a degradation from 0 to 7% in throughput.

-mm4 also had readahead changes which will adversely impact database-style
workloads. I'd suggest that you revert

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.1/2.6.1-mm4/broken-out/readahead-revert-lazy-readahead.patch

and retest.

We reverted lazy readahead because it broke NFS linear reads and was doing
the wrong thing anyway. We need to come up with something else for
database-style workloads.

Ok, ran through a set of tests a -R of the
readahead-revert-lazy-readahead.patch. Saw a significant improvement
with xfs, but the other file systems appeared to improve only marginally
compared to 2.6.1-mm4 with that patch.

Here's a summary compared to 2.6.1:

% throughput change from 2.6.1 to 2.6.1-mm4 -R readahead
ext2 -4.9
ext3 -4.3
jfs -5.1
reiserfs -3.8
xfs 14.8

Here's the summary of the original 2.6.1-mm4 for reference:

% throughput change from 2.6.1 to 2.6.1-mm4
ext2 -5.9%
ext3 -5.1%
jfs -7.0%
reiserfs -2.2%
xfs -0.3%

Thanks Mark.
Thats better but still not great. I have a test case from Nigel
Cunningham that performs very badly with AS. I'll try to get
that fixed up first and it might improve your case.

There are other things in mm that might change your results, not
least of which being the new SMP scheduler work.