kernel 2.6.2-rc1 and 3c59x driver freeze at transfer

From: Axel Beier
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 08:08:30 EST

Hi,
my system freezes on heavy traffic over a 3c59x.ko driver. This happens with kernels 2.6.0 upto 2.6.2-rc1.
I have an Asus A7N8X-deluxe motherboard with the 3C920-EMB chip activ.
The system freezes after 4-6 secs or ~60MB transfered over nfs or scp
regardless of acpi or preemtive, all tested...
My older 2.4.21-155 (from SuSE 9.0) loads the 3x59x.o but the syslog reports a 3c905C Tornado at ...
Windows on the same machine finds a 3c920-EMB too.

I had debug activated for the 3c59x. Level 1-4 freezes again, Level 5 and up gives a lot of info in the syslog and the kernel does not freeze!
Transfers are ok with debug level 5 and 6....

Now i have inserted a card with a realtek 8139D chip and the 8139too drivers (for tests only - all my slots are needed otherway).
With the realtek drivers i had just transfer over 4GB without problems.
So it seems a problem of the 3x59x driver and 2.6.x kernel.

Regards,
Axel