Re: [OT] Confirmation Spam Blocking was: List 'linux-dvb' closedto public posts

From: Andreas Jellinghaus
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 12:11:51 EST

I get about one mail per month from a person I never ever had
contact before, didn't know and so a challange response system
couldn't know. If I used one, I propably would never get that
mail.

If I report problems, bugs, or answer calls for help, and
I'm annoyed with a challange response system, I never
answer, simply try to swallow my hatred and forget it.

no matter how much spam you get, it is not a valid reason
for making other peoples live worse. challange response
systems do that, so they should be out lawed.

Note: mailing lists subscriptions are a different case:
if *I* want on that list, I'm happy to answer the challange,
because I want on the list, and it is good if the ML manager
cannot be tricked.

I don't like closed mailing lists. They are ok, if some person
moderates them, and always approves posts from the outside fast.

still using a closed mailing list as address for bug reports
is not a good idea.

btw: please, all challange-response people add a footer
(or maybe even better: a first text line) announcing the fact they do
so. I will not waste my time to send you an email you will never read.

Andreas