Re: Nvidia drivers and 2.6.x kernel

From: Bob Gill
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 13:17:36 EST

Hi. I also have an Nvidia Ti4200, running on Fedora Core with the
2.6.2-rc1 kernel. The easiest way to get the driver installed was to
grab a pre-built no-fuss installer from
http://www.sh.nu/download/nvidia/linux-2.6/ and after you build your new
kernel, boot into it, kill X and make sure it stays dead by modifying
/etc/inittab by changing
respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
# x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
(save) and type init q ...if X wasn't dead before, it is now. You
should now be able to install the driver (where ever you put it) by just
running >sh <drivername>
Assuming your XF86Config is still setup to deal with the binary nVidia
driver, when you uncomment the line in the /etc/inittab file and re-run
init q, X should start with an nvidia splash screen. Please be aware
that there are problems with agpgart on via chipsets (I don't have one,
I'm quoting from the minion page). And there is a procedure for getting
mesa (and optionally glut) installed alongside the binary nvidia driver
(and a bit more if you want tv with overscan).