Re: Cannot Set DMA via hdparm

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 14:45:51 EST

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 01:06:37AM +0900, Alex wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Alex,

> I am having problems settng the DMA ( hdparm -d1 /dev/hda ) on a RH9
> 2.4.28 Linux machine.

I assume you are talking about 2.4.18?

> I always get the following error messages:
>
> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operatopm mpt @er,otted
> using_dma = 0 (off)
>
> The Disk ST3120026A is properly recognized. It appears that the
> motherboard is not supported. ( I am running linux on a Shuttle XPC with
> the ATI Radeon 9100IGP / IXP150 Chipset.
>
> Has anyone an idea how to get this dma setting work ?
> Will that chipset be supported in the future ?

It seems some experimental support for your chipset was added in later
2.4 kernels.

Could you try whether kernel 2.4.24 with the alim15x3 driver available
in the kernel configuration at

ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support
ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support
IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices