Re: 2.6: No hot_UN_plugging of PCMCIA network cards

From: Russell King
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 16:39:40 EST

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:05:01PM +0100, Arne Ahrend wrote:
> There appears to be a problem with unplugging PCMCIA
> ethernet cards under 2.6. I have to run ifconfig .. down
> manually before removing the card from its socket,
> otherwise the system generates unkillable processes,
> reconnecting the card later does not work and the
> file systems cannot be unmounted properly.

It works for me - with pcnet_cs. Do you have ipv6 configured into the
kernel?

Anyway, I'd be useful if you can reproduce the unkillable process, then
dump the task state (sysrq-t) and send the trace for the hung ifconfig
process.

> /sbin/ifdown reports eth0 as unconfigured, this is normal,
> it also happens under 2.4. The "Hw. address read/write mismap"
> messages indicate trouble under 2.6...

This merely means that the driver tried to access some register and
found that the hardware was already gone.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/