Re: PATCH: Export console functions for use by Software Suspend nicedisplay

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 22:06:57 EST

Hi.

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 15:49, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Also, by using write instead of blasting the low level code,
> you will not have to worry about locking issues. (The way
> you tap the low level stuff should require at least the console
> semaphore held, write to /dev/console don't)
>
> Ben

Locking is not an issue. This is suspend-to-disk. Everything else is
stopped while we're working.

By the way, am I understanding the suggestion correctly? Do you
(collective) mean getting a fd for /dev/console from within kernel code
and using that? I've been looking at the way printk works and wondering
if con->write is equivalent (once I find the right console to write to)?

Regards,

Nigel

--
My work on Software Suspend is graciously brought to you by
LinuxFund.org.