Re: PATCH: (as177) Add class_device_unregister_wait() and platform_device_unregister_wait() to the driver model core

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 13:32:45 EST

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:15:36AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> What is it with USB that makes people think so? Remember all the USB bugs
> early on that were due to _exactly_ that thinking.

Oh yeah, I remember :(

> It's wrong. YOU SHOULD NEVER WAIT FOR THE REFERNCE COUNT TO DROP TO ZERO!
>
> You just ignore it. With proper memory management it doesn't matter.
>
> For module unload, it's likely better to return an error than to wait.
> Tell the super-user that you're busy.

That patch that Alan pointed to is wrong anyway, it dies a horrible
death, and was only a hack to try something.

I think it might be a better idea to just prevent the module unload of
the USB host controller until all drivers bound to devices owned by it
are also unbound in order to fix these kinds of problems.

thanks,

greg k-h