Re: atkbd w 2.6.2rc1 : HowTo for extra (inet) keys ?

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 16:12:24 EST

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:04:27PM +0200, P. Christeas wrote:
> Hello again.
> I just reverted my atkbd.c code to your version (Linus's tree) and
> unfortunately have 4 keys 'missing' from my HP Omnibook XE3GC extra "internet
> keys".
> Question 1: Can I fix the table from userland, using some utility? That is,
> can I upload an updated table into the kernel, so that I don't have to
> reboot?

'setkeycodes' can do that.

> Q 2: Do you have any HowTo/QA for that?

Not yet, but I'll have to write one.

> Q 3: Will that work under X? (which AFAIK reads the 'raw' codes)

X needs to be set up as well. In 2.6, X doesn't get real raw codes but
instead simulated raw codes generated by the kernel.

> Q 4: It has been rather difficult for me to compute the scancodes needed for
> the table. Could you put the "formula" onto the HowTo?

> FYI, the codes are:
> "www": Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xf3 on isa0060/serio0).
> "Mail": Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xf4 on isa0060/serio0).
> "Launch": Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xf2 on isa0060/serio0).
> "Help": Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xf1 on isa0060/serio0).

The formula for setkeycodes is:

if (code > 0x100)
you're out of luck, setkeycodes doesn't handle this yet;
else if (code > 0x80)
result = code - 0x80 + 0xe000;
else
result = code;

And then you use 'setkeycodes result keycode',

where keycode you find in include/linux/input.h.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR