Re: [lkml] pseudo tty / kernel compile question

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 17:02:29 EST

This has nothing to do with the patch fixing serial drivers, to which
you seem to have replied. Please don't reply to random messages -- if
you mean to starting a new thread then do so properly.

On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 00:16 -0600, Karl Tatgenhorst wrote:
> when I log in over ssh I get /dev/pts/0 when I type tty. But he says it
> should be of type /dev/ptsp* I know (suspect strongly) that this is
> configured in the kernel but not where.

Whether you use the new type of pseudo-ttys /dev/pts/XX or whether you
use the old ones is dependent on your user space programs. You should be
using /dev/pts/XX. If you _are_, then the number of available
pseudo-ttys is indeed part of the kernel configuration. It's
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT.

--
dwmw2