Re: [2.6.x] e1000: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

From: Petr Sebor
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 05:35:10 EST

Feldman, Scott wrote:

since we have upgraded cabling on our network and transfer speeds increased a little bit, we are experiencing very often situations where the Intel PRO/1000 nics just stop responding and network dies for a while. Local console works, there are no more error messages other than (when the eth0 comes to a life again):

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
e1000: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex

Petr, I need you to try something. Get ethtool 1.8
(sf.net/projects/gkernel) and turn off TSO:

# ethtool -K eth0 tso off

If you now longer see NETDEV WATCHDOG's, I have a next step. More on
that later.

-scott

Scott,

after a weekend and half of working day (with extra torturing of the network card)
the NETDEV WATCHDOG's are not barking anymore with the tso's disabled.

Do you want me to do more testing or will you tell me what _the_ next step is ? :-)

Regards,
Petr