Re: kernel 2.6.1 and cdrecord on ATAPI bus

From: Charles Shannon Hendrix
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 20:29:46 EST

Sun, 25 Jan 2004 @ 21:17 -0500, Bill Davidsen said:

> I believe that you will find that you have to compile for 2.6 on a
> machine with /usr/src/linux pointing to the 2.6 kernel source. This is
> being discussed elsewhere, but is what got things working for me.

That should not matter any more.

For what it is worth, the problem appears to be fixed, and in the
wierdest way.

I booted kernel 2.4 without ide-scsi, and it failed to work. Then I
booted 2.4 with ide-scsi, and things were working again.

The burner could not read the last three CDs I burned, one CD/RW, and
the other CD/R's on kernel 2.6.1 and the other on a Windows machine.

Just for the hell of it, I blanked and burned the CD/RW.

Instantly, I could read all of the "problem" CDs.

I booted 2.4 without ide-scsi, and it worked.

I booted 2.6.1 without ide-scsi, and it worked.

It's as if doing that blank and burn operation "fixed" something about
the drive.

I'm hoping to try a few reboots to make sure this drive is working
before fully deciding things are OK, but it certainly looks that way.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]