Re: Cset 1.1490.4.201 - dasd naming

From: Martin Schwidefsky
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 03:54:27 EST

Hi Pete,

> In a recent changeset in Linus' tree, there's your diff which blows up
> the dasd naming scheme, with the comment:
> - Change dasd names from "dasdx" to "dasd_<busid>_".
We plan to do this for tape and other ccw devices as well (where applicable).

> This breaks mkinitrd, nash, and mount by label (not to mention every
> zipl.conf out there, because root= aliases to /sys/block/%s).
> Would you please explain what exactly you were thinking when you
> submitted that patch?
The reason for this change is the requirement to have persistent device
names. The /dev/dasdxyz naming schema heavily depends on the order in
which the device are added. Not good for persistent names. This change
affects four things: 1) the internal name, 2) the name of the sysfs
directory, 3) the root= parameter and 4) the hotplug events for dasd
devices.

blue skies,
Martin

Linux/390 Design & Development, IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Schönaicherstr. 220, D-71032 Böblingen, Telefon: 49 - (0)7031 - 16-2247
E-Mail: schwidefsky@xxxxxxxxxx