[2.6.2-rc2] R31 hangs after booting oops

From: Bernd Schubert
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 19:05:56 EST

Hello,

my Thinkpad R31 stops during the boot-process when I give 'acpi=off' as boot
option, but on using acpi it boots fine (so when I'm not giving this option).
Unfortunality it has no serial port to capture this oops -- any suggestions
how to capture it via parallel port or via usb-to-serial cable?

I manually write down some maybe helpfull messages, please tell me, if you
need more or have an idea how to get a full automatic trace.

Floppy drives(s): fd0 is 1.44M
Unable to hande kernel pointer dereference at virtual address 00000004
printing eip:
c01449ec
*pde = 00000000
Oops: 0000 [#1]
CPU: 0
EIP: 0060:[<c01449ec>] Not tainted

(I leave out the other numbers and registers)

Process swapper (pid: 0, threadinginfo=c048000 task c941ed60)

(please ask for Stack numbers if needed)

Call Trace: (without all numbers)

drain_array
reap_timer
update_process_times
reap_timer_softirq
do_softirq
common interrrupt
apm_bios_call_simple
apm_do_idle
apm_cpu_idle
_stext
cpu_idle
start_kernel
unknown_bootoption

Kernel panic: Fatal exception in interrrupt
In interrupt handler - not syncing

Thanks in advance for your help,
Bernd