Re: Is there a way to keep the 2.6 kjournald from writing to idledisks? (to allow spin-downs)

From: Lutz Vieweg
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 08:31:57 EST

Bart Samwel wrote:

Well, it's the o.p. system, not mine, but I don't see how noatime will
help him, the atime shouldn't change unless he's doing disk access, and
if he's doing disk access the disk will spin up anyway.

That's what I thought, too... and I really killed everything that I could
imagine accessing the disk... but...

If something really is accessing the drive, noatime might still help as long as the accesses are from the cache.

... that really helped! I'm kind of surprised, since I didn't use noatime
before the update, and I still don't know of any process that might do
the reading, but since mounting / with noatime helped, I'm happy for now.

My curiosity isn't completely gone, though, so maybe one day I'll try to
find out who-is-trying-to-read-what, "find -atime ..." didn't reveal the secret
yet.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg