Re: Can't enable DMA on my DVD in 2.6.1?

From: Eric
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 21:26:18 EST

> /dev/hdd:
> setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> using_dma = 0 (off)

-EPERM is usually caused by not having your chipset compiled into the kernel
or the chipset driver not supporting DMA.
If the first is the case, try compiling in one or more chipsets you suspect
are yours in Device Drivers->Char->(ALI Chipset support, ATI Chipset support
etc.) and Device Drivers->ATA/ATAPI->(ALI Chipset support, AMD Chipset
support) etc. etc. Find your chipsets and compile them into the kernel.
If its the second case I have no idea if a particular driver isnt supporting
DMA. AFAIK they all should. Thats a question for that particular chipset
maintainer.
However your problem is most certainly the first. It escapes me which device
section will solve your problem (CHAR or ATA/ATAPI) but try both, it won't
hurt to have some un-used code in the kernel. You can always remove un-needed
drivers when you pinpoint the driver you need.