Re: Is there a way to keep the 2.6 kjournald from writing to idledisks? (to allow spin-downs)

From: Bart Samwel
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 07:52:08 EST

Micha Feigin wrote:
My curiosity isn't completely gone, though, so maybe one day I'll try to
find out who-is-trying-to-read-what, "find -atime ..." didn't reveal the secret
yet.

It might help you find the culprit. There is a laptopmode patch
for 2.6. If you echo a number n larger then 1 into
/proc/sys/vm/laptopmode it will dump the first n disk accesses to the
console (The docs that come with the patch have the complete
description).

This was true in the first version (for /proc/sys/vm/block_dump, not laptop_mode), however, this approach was then shot down in favor of a simple on/off flag.

--Bart