Re: [OT] Crazy idea: Design open-source graphics chip

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 13:56:24 EST

Torrey Hoffman wrote:

I think I can do better than that by buying two-generation-behind cards
off EBay.

[snip]

Agreed. But would those not eventually run out? Certainly, there will always be a supply of used cards that are 2-generations behind, but eventually, we may get to the point where all the used cards have no public documentation.

But perhaps at that point, Linux will dominate and the manufacturers will feel pressured to open their register sets.