Re: [OT] Crazy idea: Design open-source graphics chip

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 16:35:06 EST

John Bradford wrote:

If we put 4 or more on each board, it could be useful for betting
shops, stock markets, shop window displays, and other applications
where you need to control a dozen or more screens, which basically
contain textual information, but where 80x25 text mode just isn't
enough. I.E. you might want the odd pie chart or different sized text
or something.

The market for secondary heads is too small. You can get an ATI Mach 64 PCI card for pennies and add it as a second head for what you're describing.

For an open-source graphics card to be marketable, it would have to be attractive as a primary head used in Linux workstations and servers, and it would have to be so in a PC market.

Oh, there's one thing I forgot. It would have to support VGA.

Maybe not, the primary market for this, (I.E. what makes it cost
effective to produce, and therefore available for developers to use as
their primary display), could be users who want to control many
displays, and who would have a standard VGA card for the primary
monitor. (Yeah, it would be kind of ironic if 99% of our amasing new
graphics cards ended up in mahines with another card as the primary
display, but then again, if it makes the open hardware available for
developers to experiment with at a reasonable cost, it would be worth
doing).

The irony is too much. Seriously.

So, what about a PCI card with four or eight 16MB framebuffers, and
the basic acceleration and other specs you described above. Is that
at least slightly feasible, do you think?

Adding extra heads is relatively easy, and you can keep the memory unified and do it all in one chip.