Re: (driver model) bus kset list manipulation bug

From: Hollis Blanchard
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 15:52:43 EST

On Jan 27, 2004, at 5:31 PM, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

devices_subsys looks like it's only used for two things: global hotplug policy and suspend. Of the 3 hotplug functions it provides (dev_hotplug_filter, dev_hotplug_name, and dev_hotplug), 2 of them refer to bus data or code anyways.

I'm very surprised to see it's used by device_shutdown(). I thought one of the points of the device tree was to do depth-first-suspend, so e.g we don't try to suspend a PCI bridge and *then* try to suspend children of that bridge. Instead we're walking a global list in the reverse order they were registered. I guess this works because busses are discovered from the root down, so going backwards will give you the deepest first.

To reply to myself again (starting to get the hint...), I wonder how long the global devices_subsys list will work for power-suspend once we start hotplugging devices and busses? Seems to me that a cascading bus power-down message is what has to happen...

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center