conformance, compliance and compatibility

From: Esben Stien
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 18:17:22 EST

I remember to have read that ISO has standardized on using
conformance for everything that is conforming to a specific
standard but I can't find it again. Anyone know where I could
look?

AFAIK, this is my understanding of these words

Conformance has a deep root different meaning than compliance,
but today that difference is not clear. However, ISO has
standardized on using the word conformance and not compliance
when saying something conforms to a standard.

Compatibility is for hardware. You can say that a specific
piece of hardware is compatible with another piece of hardware
cause it speaks the same protocol. Compatibility is a way of
saying that two components uses the same interfaces.

You can not call a system unix today, cause unix today is a
standard. The last unix was sysv. You can however say a system
is conforming to unix (iso posix unix)(ieee 1003.1), so it is a
unix conformant system. (to be technically correct).

Is there any document that clarifies these words better. I'm
looking for some official documentation from a standards body
like ISO, IEC etc.

I also see the words comformance and compliance used
interchangably in RFC's, but to my knowledge I think I remember
that RFC's where also supposed to be using conformance

--
b0ef