Re: [Swsusp-devel] Software Suspend 2.0

From: Joseph Pingenot
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 02:40:03 EST

>From Nigel Cunningham on Saturday, 31 January, 2004:
>Hi again.
>On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 20:16, Joseph Pingenot wrote:
>> >In the past I have only done patches against the 2.6.x kernels. I'm
>> >thinking, however, of requesting space on kernel.org for patches against
>> >-rcX and -mm kernels. You're the second person to ask. If I get asked
>> That'd rock. It's a very important thing nowadays.
>Okay. I'll ask then.
>> >some more, I might do it :> (It's not that it's hard, just that it takes
>> Hmm. Do I have to be a *new* person to ask, or can I just keep
>> asking until you give in? ;)
>:> Okay, okay, I give in! (That wasn't hard, was it?!)

Yay! Yet again does annoyance reign victorious!

>> >time and today is my last day working on the code full time).
>>
>> Oi! I'll give you five (US) dollars. Is that near enough? :)
>:>
>> Actually, in all seriousness, is there some sort of tips place
>> to give you money to fund the project? Although I don't have
>> much time (working on yet another cpu governor, amongst other
>> things), I can not eat at a restauraunt for lunch a couple of
>> times and send the money your way. :)
>Sourceforge have a donations thing now, but I haven't done my bit to
>sign the project up for it. Frankly, after all the support LinuxFund
>gave over the last four months, I'd rather encourage people to give to
>them :>

Kewl beans. I'll see what I can do then.

>> >The best way to answer that is to point to
>> >http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/features.html.
>> Ah. Thankye.
>> A few last questions while I'm at it. (I'm struggling to get it to work
>> with my new Dell Inspiron 8600.) Is it alright to have the different
>> swsus/pmdisk versions enabled in the same kernel? Finally, is there
>Yes, I worked hard on making it play nicely with them. It does replace
>the refrigerator they used, but if I've done it right and it hasn't been
>broken it since (by any of the three of us), they shouldn't care.

Cool. I think I'll disable the others just in case [you only need
*one* suspending mechanism].

>> any specific way to create the swap space for saving the state to?
>Suspend2 will use any swap space you have available. It will even
>automatically turn on a swap partition or file for you at the start of
>suspending, and turn it off at the end. It doesn't care about how the
>swap space is distributed or whether it's a partition or a file or a
>combination. Saving to local IDE and SCSI is tested, but I've had
>limited success with SCSI due to the lack of power management on the
>drives I was testing with (the machine resumed up to the point where it
>wanted to use the SCSI drive again with the restored kernel, at which
>point the driver paniced because the request numbers were out of sync).

Hmmm. Would turning on the swap space be a better option then? I had
left it off so that it wouldn't get used.
Something I was wondering about: what happens then if the swap space
is all filled? I liked having a dedicated partition so that that
wouldn't be an issue.
BTW, the drive in this is a plain IDE one.

>> ran mkswap on it. However, after I tried to suspend, it didn't
>> recognize the saved data.

>2.6 has problems with flushing caches properly at the moment. It might
>be related to that. I'd need more info to properly diagnose the problem.

Hmm. I'm hoping to take advantage of 2.6.2-rc3's ACPI updates
(I have some acpi wonkiness which is undoubtedly related to
Dell and its infamous DSDTs). Any chance you could make that
your first -rc target? :) I'll give you a lollipop whenever
I see you IRL.

Anyhow, I'm gonna hit the hay. Thanks for the great work; you're
truly an asset to Kiwi-dom. ;)