Re: raid6 badness

From: Michael V. David
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 08:12:52 EST

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> I'll send in the attached patch for now, but at some point I'd like
> to fix this. Unfortunately I still don't have an x86-64 machine
> that I can actually compile and install kernels on; I only have
> access to an x86-64 userspace, so I'm a bit limited in what I can
> test.
>
> Michael: Perhaps you could apply this patch and test it out for me?

Done.

The patch applied, and the module raid6.ko compiled, with no problem.

The machine was rebooted because the crashed raid6.ko would not
unload.

The new raid6.ko loaded and unloaded repeatedly without a problem.

I created a raid6 device with 6 components, and a file system, and it
worked as expected, allowing failure of 1 or 2 component devices, but
not 3.

At present, I have not tried building it into the kernel, and have not
done any hard testing of raid6.

--mvd