Re: 2.6.1 IO lockup on SMP systems

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 19:17:32 EST

"Sergey S. Kostyliov" <rathamahata@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I had experienced a lockups on three of my servers with 2.6.1. It doesn't
> look like a deadlock, the box is still pingable and all tcp ports which were
> in listen state before a lockup are remains in listen state, but I can't get
> any data from this ports. According to sar(1) systems had not been overloaded
> right before a lockup. And there is no log entries in all user services logs
> for almost 10 hours after lockup.

Please ensure that CONFIG_KALLSYMS is enabled, then generate an all-tasks
backtrace or a locked machine with sysrq-T or `echo t >
/proc/sysrq-trigger'. Then send us the resulting trace.

You may need a serial console to be able to capture all the output.

Also, it would be useful to know what sort of load the machines are under,
and what filesystems are in use.

Thanks.