Re: 2.6.1: process start times by procps

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 15:18:32 EST

john stultz wrote:
On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 07:52, Petri Kaukasoina wrote:

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 01:08:47PM +0200, I wrote:

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:47:14PM +0200, I wrote:

For example, I started this bash process really at 21:24 (date showed 21:24
then):

kaukasoi 22108 0.0 0.2 4452 1532 pts/4 R 21:28 0:00 /bin/bash

OK, I would like to make my bug report more accurate: the problem seems to
be that the value of btime in /proc/stat is not correct.

btime in /proc/stat does not stay constant but decreases at a rate of 15
secs/day. (So I thought that that's why there is that four minute error in
ps output after uptime of a couple of weeks.) Maybe this has something to do
with the fact that the 'timer' line in /proc/interrupts does not seem to
increase at an exact rate of 1000 steps per second but about 1000.18 steps
per second, instead. (The relative error is the same: 0.18 divided by 1000
is equal to 15 seconds divided by 24 hours).

I made an experiment shown below. I know nothing about kernel programming,
so this is probably not correct, but at least btime seemed to stay constant.
(I don't believe this fixes procps, though. If HZ if off by 180 ppm then I
guess ps can't possibly get its calculations involving HZ right. But at
least the bootup time reported by procinfo stays constant.)

Uh, what does your /etc/ntp/drift file show?

The basic equation is: btime ~= gettimeodfay() - uptime

Thus if your time of day is adjusted by NTP, btime will change as well.
Uptime is calculated calculated by jiffies/HZ, and HZ is not NTP
adjusted, so if your system is running 180ppm too fast or slow, btime
would be expected to change.

It would seem that there is a problem having the system know which two times to believe. Given that I set time from a good source in rc.local, it would be nice to have the system know that the correct and unchanging btime is NOW-uptime. And to make that assumption it would have to be told in some way that the btime should be calculated and treated as unchanging. On other systems a standard may never be used, or the standard mey be the local cable guide (most have a time).

A good thing to consider if you care, I guess right after setting to a trusted clock I might want to save the btime somewhere.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc