Re: module-init-tools/udev and module auto-loading

From: "Andrey Borzenkov"
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 02:21:42 EST

>> Hi
>>
>> A quick question on module-init-tools/udev and module auto-loading ...
>> lets say I have a module called 'foo', that I want the kernel to
>> auto-load.
>
> Wait, stop right there. When do you want the module autoloaded?

for legacy hardware that cannot generate any hotplug event when
connected.

Parallel port Jaz that I have. I usually have it switched off
or simply disconnected (let's leave the question of how safe is
to plug in parallel port cable aside). When I turn it on there is
no hotplug event available. Meaning

- either I have to load ppa (given current implementation)
- or initiate rescan of ppa scsi bus (if it is ever changed to new
model)

I guess other parallel port devices share the same issue.

so there are cases when "action on access" makes sense.

regards

-andrey