Re: Where do the "Machine Check Exceptions" come from? [update]

From: Kai Militzer
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 08:51:58 EST

Hello everyone!

I have an update on the reproduction of the strange kernel oopses on an
2.4.24 kernel.

> It all started, that the machine crashed in two-day-intervalls with the
> following message in log:

> Jan 6 22:39:01 CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
> Jan 6 22:39:01 Bank 4: b200000000040151
> Jan 6 22:39:01 Kernel panic: CPU context corrupt

That's the message, that always appears.

We then tested around as described in my original mail.

> So there must be something else. Next step was to take the config from
> the 2.4.19 kernel and do a "make oldconfig" with the 2.4.24. The system
> is now running for two days without a crash. So it must be something
> that has changed between the two configs.

The kernel ran for four days without crashing. So I tried to activate
some options, that were activeted in the crashing kernel.

I started with this option, just by a foresought.

> < CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW=y
> ---
> > # CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW is not set

It was not set in the kernel running for four days, but in the one,
crashing. After I activated it (means: CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW=y),
compiled the kernel and let it run under work for the weekend (starting
on friday). This morning (monday) it crashed. So I would say, it was the
CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW.

Does anyone have an idea, why this options makes the kernel crash?
Shouldn't this option prevent the kernel from crashing?

If more information is needed (i.e. full kernel config, hardware specs,
etc.) please let me know.

Regards

Kai

--
Kai Militzer WESTEND GmbH | Internet-Business-Provider
Technik CISCO Systems Partner - Authorized Reseller