Re: [OT] Crazy idea: Design open-source graphics chip

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 12:10:03 EST

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:

Ok, so, how about this idea:

- Small Xilinx FPGA, 16M of RAM, and a DAC on a board.
- AGP 2X
- Up to 2048x2048 resolution at 8, 16, and 32 bpp.
- Acceleration ONLY for solid fills and bitblts on-screen.

Sounds OK to me.

To you. But if you are the only customer, that doesn't make for very large sales volumes.

Given that so little is accelerated, there is no point in putting more
than the viewable framebuffer on the card, hense the 16 megs. It would
probably actually HURT performance to cache pixmaps on the card.

Oh, there's one thing I forgot. It would have to support VGA. There is
a VGA core on opencores.org that we could use, but its logic area would
probably push up the FPGA cost so that the board was in the $100 range.
Probably more.

Why support legacy VGA? It makes things more complex and expensive, and doesn't
give us much, especially for a SoC.

It's all about console support in a PC.

BTW, What is SoC?