Re: [OT] Crazy idea: Design open-source graphics chip

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 12:14:05 EST

DaMouse Networks wrote:
A cheap cludge would be an optional second GPU on the card just to do
the required VGA modes, with an analogue video pass-through. That
would make the VGA cards more expensive than a single GPU which
incorporated VGA, but add almost nothing in cost or complexity terms
to the non-VGA cards.

I was thinking of suggesting something similar as I browsed the thread. I would think that having Linux instead of the BIOS would be good since you would only need a small cut-down Linux that has drivers for a VGA->FB interface or something similar. The SMP approach from XGI might work in this since Linux supports SMP very well and it could perform well with up to like 4+ GPUs? (thinking of the card size that might limit this you could have them stacked :) )

I think I'm gonna have to follow this thread closely :)

So, do you all honestly think that adding cost to the board is going to make it sell?