Re: ide taskfile and cdrom hang

From: Mark Haverkamp
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 13:48:48 EST

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 12:48, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday 30 of January 2004 23:36, Mark Haverkamp wrote:
> > We have some test machines here at OSDL that have a problem with the ide
> > cdrom driver hanging when we cat the /proc/ide/hda/identify file. After
> > 30 seconds the console displays: "hda: lost interrupt" which reoccurs
> > every 30 seconds forever. We noticed it on 2.6.2-rc2-mm1 but It looks
> > like this has been a problem for a while. Our test machines just changed
> > their configuration to use make defconfig. I found that if
> > CONFIG_IDE_TASKFILE_IO is N then the hang doesn't occur. Is this a
> > common problem or are there just certain drives that won't work with
> > taskfile i/o enabled? I've included my .config, lspci as attachments.
> > The cdrom model is CD-224E.
>
> Does 'hdparm -I /dev/hda" work? If so can you try this patch?
> It reverts taskfile code to use old (non-taskfile) order of accessing
> port registers for ATAPI identify command. This is a good starting point.
>
> If CONFIG_IDE_TASKFILE_IO is N code just ignores BUSY status of a drive
> and reads some random data. I would like to have this problem solved
> at least instead of adding the same workaround to CONFIG_IDE_TASKFILE_IO.
>
> Cheers,
> --bart

Thanks,

hdparm -I /dev/hda didn't hang. I got this on the console:

hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04Aborted Command

I added the patch that you provided and I still get the hang when I cat
/proc/ide/hda/identify. I put a printk In the code to make sure that it
was going through the added code, and it is.

Mark.
--
Mark Haverkamp <markh@xxxxxxxx>