Re: 2.6.1 slower than 2.4, smp/scsi/sw-raid/reiserfs

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 03:01:33 EST

Samium Gromoff wrote:

At Mon, 2 Feb 2004 23:07:45 -0800,
Andrew Morton wrote:

Samium Gromoff <deepfire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The machine is a dual P3 450MHz, 512MB, aic7xxx, 2 disk RAID-0 and ReiserFS. It's a few years old and has always run Linux, most recently 2.4.24. I decided to try 2.6.1 and the performance is disappointing.

2.6 has a few performance problems under heavy pageout at present. Nick Piggin has some patches which largely fix it up.

I`m sorry, but this is misguiding. 2.6 does not have a few performance
problems under heavy pageout.

As you have frequently and somewhat redundantly reminded us.

Right. I`m rather emotional about this...

Kind of hard seeing the all starry and shiny 2.6 going down the toilet on my
little server with 16M RAM.

Perhaps you could test Nick's patches. They are at

http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/vm/

Against 2.6.2-rc2-mm2. First revert vm-rss-limit-enforcement.patch, then
apply those three.

Hmmm, i`d prefer plain 2.6, but i`ll try it anyway.

It should go against plain 2.6 with luck.