Re: 2.6.0, cdrom still showing directories after being erased

From: John Bradford
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 14:28:49 EST

> That's it exactly.

[snip]

> > > If that's the case, the drive is broken. We can't help that.
>
> That's possible, it's a cheap combo from LG. I have even seen it on the
> list of droken drives (the ones that died trying to install mandrake)
> [http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/expert/2003-10/msg02116.php], even
> though it's a CDRW.
>
> It that case sorry for bothering you with crappy hw problem.
>

> > Is it actually a requirement for drives to support anything other than
> > a full erase properly? Is the 'fast' erase valid per spec, or does it
> > just happen to work on 99% of devices? Is this problem reproducable
> > if a full erase is done instead of a fast erase?
>
> Yes, it is:

[snip]

> Could it be also cdrecord problem? Couldn't cdrecord execute some command
> to flush the cdrom's cache after erasing?

Jens said there was no specific command to do this in another post,
although I would have thought that a generic device reset command
should clear the cache, but be sub-optimal for devices which clear the
cache themselves on an erase.

Regardless of specs, I don't know what the majority of devices in the
real world actually do. Maybe Jens and Alan, (cc'ed), can help.

John.